The Summary tab is first displayed when viewing a client's Profile. It's accessed via the Clients > View/Search Clients page. It contains an overview of the client's details, some quick billing and service statistics, quick links to many common management actions as well as a list of all their services, domains and addons. This page describes each option available under the Summary tab.
- 1 Summary Actions
- 2 Clients Information
- 3 Contacts/Sub-Accounts
- 4 Pay Methods
- 5 Invoices/Billing
- 6 Create New Quote
- 7 Other Information
- 8 Products/Services
- 9 Files
- 10 Recent Emails
- 11 Other Actions
- 12 Merge Client Accounts
- 13 Send Email
- 14 Admin Notes
- 15 Filtering Products
- 16 Services, Addon, Domains, Quotes
- 17 Mass Updating Services/Addons/Domains
- 18 Invoice Selected Items
- 19 Delete Selected Items
The very first thing in the top-left corner of the page is the client's unique ID number and their name. To the right of this are the summary actions, these allow for quick management of billing-related settings. By clicking the red "No" or green "Yes" text you can instantly toggle the status of the available options:
- Exempt From Tax - If Yes the client will not be charged tax even if they meet a tax rule
- Auto CC Processing - If Yes the client's credit card stored in WHMCS will automatically be charged on invoice due dates
- Send Overdue Reminders - If Yes the client will receive overdue reminder emails when their invoices become overdue.
- Apply Late Fees - If Yes the client will be charged a late fee when their invoices become overdue. Late fees must be activated and configured in General Settings and Automation Settings
This section displays the client's contact information; name, address and phone number. In addition there are the following links:
Reset & Send Password
Clicking this link will instantly generate a new client area password for the client and email it to them.
Clients can also request a password reset themselves by clicking the the Forgotten Password link on the login form to begin the reset process:
- After entering their email address, if a security question answer is specified they will be prompted to provide the answer, then an email is sent containing a confirmation link to ensure they are actually the one who requested the reset. The reset link is valid for 2 hours from the time of request
- If no security question answer is set, the email will be sent immediately upon entering a valid email address.
- When they click the link in the email, clients will be taken to the password reset validation page where a new password can be specified. They can then login immediately using the new password. If the client didn't request the reset they are advised to simply ignore the email and not click the link.
Login as Owner
View the client area exactly as the account's owner would see it. You can also perform actions on their behalf, like placing orders or opening tickets. When you finish, click Return to Admin Area in the top-right corner.
WHMCS 7.10 and earlier
Prior to WHMCS 8.0, this was Login as Client.
If a client has created Contacts or Sub-Accounts, they will be listed here. Click the contact's name to edit the record. This is explained in more detail on the Contact Tab page.
Click here to create a new contact or sub-account for this client.
Displays an overview of the client's current registered Pay Methods within WHMCS.
Adding a Pay Method
You can add a new Pay Method by selecting "Add Credit Card" or "Add Bank Account". These links will only be available when an appropriate module has been activated.
Viewing Full Card Number
For Pay Methods where the client Credit Card number is stored locally (Local Encryption):
Click the respective Pay Method to open details about it. Next to the masked credit card number, click the Padlock icon. Finally, enter your Credit Card Encryption hash (Found in configuration.php) to reveal the full number. For Tokenisation gateways, viewing the full card number is not possible as the details are not stored in WHMCS. The respective token and last 4 digits of the card number are however available for view.
Removing Card Details
Click the respective Pay Method you wish to delete. A modal will appear displaying details about this Pay Method. Click the red "Delete" button to remove these details from the Client Account and WHMCS.
In this section quick invoice and billing statistics are displayed; the number of invoices in each status along with the total value of each in brackets. The Total Income statistic shows the total of all transactions paid by the client, whilst the Credit Balance shows the current amount of credit available to the client to spend.
This link creates a custom invoice. Clicking the link immediately creates an empty invoice to which line items can be added as desired. This link will not trigger the sending of an email to the client.
Create Add Funds Invoice
You can create invoices in this way to allow a client to deposit funds to their account, or to charge a specific amount from a clients credit card. A popup will appear allowing the amount of credit to be specified. More Information.
Generate Due Invoices
Click here to generate any invoices due for the client's services, billable items, domains or addons. Useful if one of the aforementioned items has been modified and a new invoices needs to be generated without the need to run the entire automation cron job. A popup will appear asking whether you wish to send the invoice notification email.
Add Billable Item
This link will take you directly to the Add Billable Item interface. Read more about Billable Items here.
Displays a popup displaying the client's credit history; how credits were earned and spent. Credit can also be manually added and removed using the appropriate buttons. You also have the option to delete entries if you wish and they will then be deducted from the credit balance.
Read more about Managing Credit here.
Create New Quote
This link will take you directly to the Quote creation interface. Read more about Quotes here.
In this section, miscellaneous information is displayed; the client's status, their client group, signup date, length of time since signup and the IP address, hostname + time of their last login.
In this section the numbers all the services, domains quotes, support tickets and affiliate signups for this client are displayed. The active service count is displayed first, with the total - including services in suspended, terminated and cancelled statuses - in brackets.
Click this link to see a list of all orders placed by this client. Read more about Order Management here.
Add New Order
This link will take you to the admin order form. This allows orders to be placed on behalf of the client, and for products and promotional codes to be used in combinations not possible on the public order form.
The files section in a client's summary allows you to upload files specific to that customer.
- This can be used for documents, agreements or other downloads specific to the individual
- Files can be set as Admin Only to only be viewed by admins, otherwise they show on the Client Area Homepage for the client to be able to download
- Files are uploaded to the /attachments directory and can be added and managed from the Client Summary page in the admin area
Displayed here are the last five emails sent to the client by WHMCS. A longer email history can be viewed under the Emails tab.
Within this section are a number of miscellaneous links which perform a variety of tasks.
View Account Statement
Provides a statement of account for this client accounts between a date range. Displays Type (add funds, transaction, invoice), date, description, credits, debits and a running balance
Open New Support Ticket
This link enables you to open a support ticket under the client's account. Useful for initiating correspondence with the client and keeping a full record of the conversation.
View all Support Tickets
Click here to see see a list of all support tickets assigned to the client in the departments to which your administrator account is assigned. If the client had tickets in departments of which you are not a member, they would not be displayed here.
Activate as Affiliate
If enabled clients can join the affiliate program from within the client area. Staff members can also add the client to the affiliate program by clicking this link.
View Affiliate Details
Once the client has been activated as an affiliate, the 'View Affiliate Details' link will be displayed in its place. Click it to see the client's referrals, commissions pending and paid, as well as your payments to them. Read more about Affiliates here.
Merge Client Accounts
Merging clients combines 2 separate client accounts in WHMCS into one. This merges everything relating to the 2 separate entities into one including but not limited to products, invoices, transactions, tickets, etc...
- Begin by locating the first of the clients you want to merge
- Click the Merge Client Accounts link on the Client Summary page
- In the popup that appears, you will be asked to enter the Client ID. If you don't know the client's ID the Search field can be used to search by name, company or email address. Click the client's name and the ID will be filled in.
- After specifying the second client, you can choose which profile you want to keep, so either merge into the first client, or second client - this determines which profile data is kept - ie. name, email address, etc...
- Once happy, click the submit button to complete the process
Close Clients Account
Closing a client's account will prevent them from being able to login to the client area. This link will also change the status of unpaid invoices to cancelled, and all services to cancelled. It will not run any module termination functions.
Delete Clients Account
To remove a client, click this link. If you also want to remove any associated users that aren't associated with other client accounts, check the checkbox. Then, confirm the deletion. The client will be removed and you will be returned to the Clients list.
Deleting a client removes everything related to that client from the WHMCS database, with the exception of transactions. This is because transactions are considered income that isn't being refunded when the client is removed. If you want to also remove the client's transactions, do this in the Transactions tab before you delete the client.
Use this dropdown to send any 'General' type email templates to clients, or select the "New Message" option to compose a new email from scratch. Product and Domain type emails can be sent using the dedicated dropdowns under the corresponding tabs.
Here staff can enter private notes about the client to be displayed to whoever views this Summary tab. Separate notes sections are available available under the Products/Services , Domains and Notes tab.
There may be situations where it's desirable to filter the client's product/services list to only display items in certain statuses. For example if a client has lots of old cancelled services you may wish to only display the active, pending and fraud products (hiding the cancelled ones).
To achieve this click the Status Filter button under the Admin Notes section within the client's Summary tab. A prompt will appear allowing you to select which statuses should be displayed.
The button will turn green so you can tell at-a-glance when the filter is applied.
Note: The filter selected here will apply across all clients and will be remembered until the web browser is closed.
Services, Addon, Domains, Quotes
The Services, Addons, Domains and Quotes lists will often take up the majority of the client's Summary tab. They provide a comprehensive list of all the client's services with you alongside key information for each (such as price, signup date, status and next due date).
The lists are ordered based upon the item's ID number. Click the ID number of the Edit icon to see the full details of the item from where you can make changes.
The Current Quotes section displays quotes with a Valid Until Date up to and included today's date. When this is passed they can be viewed under the Quotes tab
Mass Updating Services/Addons/Domains
The mass update options enable you to make changes to more than one of a given clients products, add-ons and domains at a time. This is useful for making bulk changes to a clients products and services.
Supported fields you can change in a mass update include:
- Payment Method
- Override Auto-Suspend
- Billing Cycle
- Next Due Date
You can also perform all the core module commands - Create, Suspend, Unsuspend, Terminate, Change Package and Change Password.
To use the feature, follow the steps below:
- Tick the checkboxes next to the Products/Services, Addons and/or Domains you want to update,
- Scroll to the Bulk Actions panel located at the bottom of the Client Summary page
- Click the Advanced Options link to reveal all the options
- Make your changes and selections (leaving blank any fields you don't wish to change)
- Click Apply to complete the changes
Due Date Changes Prorata Calculation
When making a change to the Next Due Date of products and services, you also have the option to bill for the days between the current next due date and the target next due date you set. This is useful for synchronising multiple different products to a single common due date each billing cycle.
To do this, follow the steps below:
- Tick the checkboxes next to the Products/Services, Addons and/or Domains you want to update.
- Scroll to the Bulk Actions panel located at the bottom of the Client Summary page.
- Click the Advanced Options link to reveal the additional options.
- Enter the desired Next Due Date.
- Tick the Create Prorata Invoice checkbox.
- Click Apply to complete the changes.
The page will reload with confirmation of the changes and that an invoice has been generated.
An invoice will only be generated if the differences for all products result in an amount being due. If the total differences result in a credit then no invoice will be generated and no credit will be issued. If you wish to add a credit for the difference, we have details on adding a credit manually here.
Invoice Selected Items
There may be times where a client asks for you to invoice them for the next renewal date early. To do this in WHMCS,
- Begin by navigating to the Clients Summary page for the client you want to invoice
- Now tick the boxes of the Products/Services/Addons and/or Domains you want to generate an invoice for
- To complete, click the Invoice Selected Items button to create the invoice(s) for them
- Multiple invoices may be created if the due dates and payment methods differ as invoicing rules are obeyed as normal
Note: You won't be able to generate another invoice if an invoice has already been made for the next due date.
Note: If the Separate Invoices option is enabled in the client's Profile or Client Group, when selecting multiple items here with the same Next Due Date, it will not apply and all possible items will be invoiced together. If you need to split them up, you can edit the resulting invoices and use the Split Invoice function.
Delete Selected Items
This button can be used to delete multiple items en-mass. Tick the checkboxes next to the services, domains, addons or quotes you wish to remove from WHMCS and click the Delete Selected Items button.
This will remove the record form WHMCS, but will not trigger any module commands (ie. a hosting account associated with a service will stay on the server).