When you move your WHMCS system, if the domain, IP or directory you use it in is changing then you will need to have your license updated. How this is done depends upon the license you have. There are 2 different scenarios as below.
1. You purchased your license directly from us
If this is the case then you are able to reissue your license from our client area @ http://whmcs.com/members without any manual intervention from us. Just login, go to Services > My Licenses, select your license key and click Reissue under the Management Actions tab - then visit your WHMCS installation in the new location and it will save the new valid access details for it
2. You obtain your license from your web host
If this is the case then you won't be able to reissue your license from our client area because the domain and IP are not allowed to change. Please contact your hosting provider to have them update the license for use at the new location. If you are moving to a different hosting provider it will not be possible to take your license key with you, a new license key will be required for use at the new location.
Moving WHMCS is straight forward:
- Disable/remove the WHMCS cron jobs from the old server to prevent automation from running and making changes.
- Take a backup of your database following these instructions,
- Make sure the new server meets the system requirements,
- Transfer the files across to the new server.
- Restore the database via phpmyadmin on the new server and make any changes to the database settings in configuration.php.
- You'll then need to re-issue your license as described above.
- Login to your WHMCS admin and update the system URLS in Setup > General Settings.
- Check that your cron jobs, payment gateway callbacks and any email forwarders are modified accordingly.
- Update your custom directory locations.
- Update your Storage Locations.
- Finally, delete the WHMCS files from the old location.
Changing the License Key WHMCS uses
To change the license key your WHMCS system uses, login to the admin area and go to Help > Change License Key. You can then enter your new license key there along with your admin login details to verify the change. If you are getting a license invalid error so that you are unable to login then there is also a link to the change license page from the license error page.
Is licensing dependant on whmcs.com being online?
No. WHMCS uses a local key licensing system with periodic remote verification checks. What this means is that once every 7 days, your WHMCS system will contact our server to ensure it is being run in the correct location and that the license is still valid. Your WHMCS system being online is not dependant on our server being online during the time the local key is valid.
Should our licensing server be down on the day your next verification check is due then the system will allow up to 3 days for a connection to be made. If after this time, the system is still unable to verify your license with our licensing server then your WHMCS Admin Area will become inactive until it can contact our server again.
Your WHMCS Client Area will always remains online even if you have an invalid or expired license to ensure your clients access is not interrupted.
For information on troubleshooting common licensing errors, please see License Troubleshooting.