Product Addons let you offer additional items which the client has a yes/no choice over and are billed seperately from the product. Configurable Options on products allow you to give your clients variables which alter the price of that product. In this article, we will look at when you would use them and how.
When should I use configurable options instead of addons?
- If you want to offer a choice of options for a single thing - for example Disk Space, Operating System, Locations, etc...
- If you want the total amount to be billed as a single item and not seperately
- When you want the billing cycle of the addon to match the billing cycle of the product
When should I use addons instead of configurable options?
- If the item is a one off service
- If it can be selected independently of other items
- If it should be billed on it's own cycle - eg. a dedicated IP might be billed annually regardless of the package cycle
- Not subject to prorata at a product level or client-wide signup anniversary prorata.
Creating a New Addon
- Begin by going to Setup > Products/Services > Product Addons > Add New
- Enter a Name and Description, then click Save Changes. The other options on this page are optional and can be changed later:
- Tick the Tax Addon box if tax rules should be applied to this addon
- Tick Show on Order if you want the addon to be displayed during the initial order process. Leaving it unchecked means clients can choose to order it later from the client area only.
- Ticking Suspend Parent Product will cause the parent product to which the addon belongs to be suspended should it become overdue on payment per your automation settings.
- Choose a Welcome Email if you want to send an email notification relating to the new addon when activated
- Addon Weighting – By default addons are listed on the order form alphabetically (set addon weighting value to 0), this display order can be customised by entering a weighting for each addon. A value of 1 would mean the addon was displayed at the top of the list, an addon with a weighting of 2 displayed beneath it and so on...
- Under the Pricing tab, enter the prices for each of your activated currencies - setup fees to be charged at the initial time of order only and recurring amounts to be charged every cycle
- Under the Module Settings tab, if you'd like the addon to trigger provisioning, select a Module Name which should be triggered when the addon is ordered.
- Select the provisioning option which controls when you'd like this addon to be activated; as soon as the order is placed, when the first payment is received, when you manually accept a pending order or never.Note
In version 7.1 and earlier a single Autoactivate on Payment option was available. In version 7.2 and above this is replaced with four provisioning options.
- When used with addons, Custom Fields are for internal use only and are typically auto-populated by modules.
- Under the Applicable Products tab, click the products to which the addon applies in the Available Products column they will move to the Selected Products column and therefore appear during the ordering process for the selected products. To de-select a product click; it's name in the Selected Products column.
- If an Associated Download is selected, once the addon's status is Active, the chosen file(s) will become available for the client to download under the parent product's Downloads tab in the client area (Services > My Services > View Details > Downloads tab). For more information refer to Product Download Distribution.
Finally, click Save Changes
- To manage existing addons, go to Setup > Products/Services > Product Addons
- From here you can view, edit and delete existing addons
- You will not be able to delete an addon if it is in use by customers
- Modifying addons gives you exactly the same layout and options as adding a new one
Assigning Addons to Customers
- In addition to clients being able to order addons from the client area, admins can issue addons to customers
- Refer to Products Management#Addons for details
Information on Configurable Options can be found on their own page.