Products are organised into groups. Each group can contain an unlimited number of both products and product bundles.
A common use for product groups is grouping similar or related products together. This can allow them to be displayed side by side for comparison depending upon the order form template you select.
For each product group you can define the following:
- Name - The name displayed for the group to both admin users and customers (Required)
- Headline - A headline used by newer order form templates (Optional)
- Tagline - A tagline used by newer order form templates (Optional)
- Features - A list of features which apply to all products within the product group. Used by some newer order form templates.
- Available Payment Gateways - Allows you to customise which of your active payment gateways are permitted for use with orders and invoices containing products from this group.
- Order Form Template - Allows you to define which order form template should be used for the product group and product configuration steps of the order process for products contained within this group.
- Hidden - Hides the product group from display in the client side Shopping Cart product group list (Please Note: can still be accessed directly using the Group ID)
- Direct Cart Link - A direct link to the shopping cart that will pre-select the current product group.
Creating a Product Group
To create a product group, navigate to Setup > Products/Services and click on the Create a New Group button.
Fill out the fields as desired. Once complete, click the Save Changes button to complete the process.
Specifying a headline and/or tagline will be used by newer order form templates.
In older order form templates, the product group name is used for the display title.
Adding product group features allows some newer order form templates to display features that relate to all the products within the group.
You can add, remove and re-order features.
To add a feature, enter the display text for it and hit enter or click the Add New button.
The feature will be added to the bottom of the list. You can re-order features by clicking and dragging the crosshair icon located to the left of the feature label.
To delete a feature, click the X icon located to the right of the features. To edit a feature, you will need to delete and re-create it.
Available Payment Gateways
By default, all active payment gateways are available to all orders and invoices created by WHMCS.
You can however restrict the use of certain gateways on a per product group basis.
Any gateways with a check beside their name will be displayed as possible choices for orders containing products within a given group. To prevent a gateway from being used with products from a product group, uncheck the checkbox next to the name.
Order Form Template
The order form template to be used for the product group product selection page and the product configuration steps of the order process can be customised on a per product group basis.
To do this, simply select the "Use Specific Template" option in the product group configuration and then a list of available order form templates will be displayed to choose from.
The template you select will be used for displaying of products when the product group is selected from the list of available product categories within the shopping cart, and for the product configuration steps of any products/bundles contained within the group.
Some newer order forms also support the concept of featured products which will be promoted more prominently than other products within a group.
To set a product as the featured item for a group, navigate to Setup > Products/Services, select the desired product, and check the Featured checkbox on the Details tab of the product configuration and then Save.
We recommend selecting only 1 featured product per group.